Subscribe to Blog

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Week 9 Complete

SAC George Piro and I at Texas, Night


Week nine has come to a close.  It has been a busy week with final papers and projects being turned in.  Last Monday, May 28th, 2017, many FBINA students participated in the Murph Challenge in honor of Lieutenant Michael Murphy, a Navy Seal killed in Afghanistan in 2005.  This was not an official FBINA challenge per say but something the students wanted to do to as a personal challenge.  The "Murph" consisted of:
  • 1 Mile Run
  • 100 Pull Ups
  • 200 Push Ups
  • 300 Squats
  • and another 1 Mile run with a 20 pound vest. 
I did not personally participate in the "Murph" as I am satisfied with the regular physical training curriculum.  LOL.  I have GREAT respect for those who did!  I was told it was beyond grueling!

Our PT for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017.
Section 5 conducted student led PT on Tuesday.  We performed many, many, reps of squats, kettle bell swings, and pushups.  My rep count was 60 push ups, 70 squats, and I think 40 or 60 kettle bell swings.  Push ups and kettle bell swings were not that bad but the squats smoked my legs!

Wednesday rolls around and Steve Mellor, our FBINA PT instructor, has us perform the excercises listed in the picture above.  This has a "name."  Something like, "The 400", "Death", "Heart Attack", "You Don't Need Legs Anyway", "Ability to Walk is Overrated."  You know, something like that.  That was Wednesday.  It is now Saturday as I type this and my legs are STILL sore!

Speaking of Steve, Section 5's PT instructor....  When you meet him and speak to him, he gives the impression that he is an easy going guy.  At first, we thought we were lucky to have Steve for PT and not those "crazy" hard other instructors.  Right!  Steve is an incredibly professional, nice, and intelligent guy but he is truly a BEAST in the gym!  For those coming to the FBINA, if you get Steve, don't be lured into a false sense of security.  Steve WILL smoke you! Be ready for the morning when he says, "Today is going to be an easy day...."   That's THE day he is going to try and kill you (In a healthy, getting you into shape, kind of way.).  In all seriousness, Steve is a great guy and you'll be fortunate to train with him.

Thursday's PT was challenging but not over the top.  We did drills through, for lack of a better term, hop scotch squares.  Reminded me of football drills.  Got our hearts pumping.  

Friday's PT time was spent meeting with the FBINA's Unit Chief about upcoming graduation and Yellow Brick Road festivities.  

Going back to Wednesday, we had a great guest speaker in Special Agent in Charge (SAC) George Piro (Pictured at the top of this page).  SAC Piro interrogated Saddam Hussein for almost a year in the early 2000's after Hussein was captured.  SAC Piro allowed us to look into the mind of Hussein.  It was a VERY interesting discussion.  

Texas Night
Wednesday night was Texas Night!  Anyone who knows anything about the FBINA knows that Texas Night is a BIG deal!  LOL!  We had great food! (BBQ Chicken, Beef Brisket, Smoked Sausages, Potato Salad, Banana Pudding, about 5 kegs of beer....)  It was a great night and everyone enjoyed the food and especially the fellowship.  

Section 5's Last PT Day Together

Thursday's PT session was bittersweet. It was the last time Section 5 would meet for PT.  I was excited because this brought me one step closer to graduation but a little sad because it was one of the last times I'll see these people.  I have truly enjoyed the many PT sessions with Section 5.  I think we had a great section.  

Section 5's FBI Counselor, Special Agent Todd Richards and I
I have to mention someone special.  Special Agent (SA) Todd Richards.  SA Richards was Section 5's counselor for our time here. SA Richards immediately became a friend to us.  He never hesitated to help in any way he could.  I don't think Section 5 could have possibly gotten a better counselor.  I will miss Todd greatly. 

Next up is the Yellow Brick Road challenge on Monday.  It is THE challenge!  

Just a few more days and I'll be home..... 

 

1 comment:

  1. I can believe and can't believe how fast the time has gone by. I've missed seeing you but have really enjoyed your blog posts to keep up updated on what you are doing.
    It's a wonderful lifetime event that I'm so glad you got to participate in.
    Good luck to a successful Yellow Brick Road challenge tomorrow.
    Love you son and look forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete