Subscribe to Blog

Monday, May 8, 2017

The New York City Trip

View from the 63rd floor of One World Trade center (AKA, Freedom Tower).  Keep in mind there are still 41 floors above this.

This past weekend, May 5th, 6th, and 7th, 140 or so students of the FBI National Academy, Session 268, toured New York City.  The tour was organized by students who are officers with the New York Police Department.  I have to say, these guys did an incredible job!!   They had to plan and execute the plan while also keeping up their student responsibilities.  One of the New York officer's father passed away yesterday and I ask that he and his family be kept in your prayers.

Friday, we left the FBI Academy and headed to New York.  We arrived at our hotel late in the evening.  The hotel was the Westin Grand Central Hotel.  This hotel building had 41 floors and my room was on the 30th.  I had never stayed that far above ground before! 

A large number of us went to McFadden's Bar and Saloon just a block or so over from our hotel. I didn't stay long as McFadden's was a little too crowded and too loud for me.  I walked around 10 blocks to a small cigar lounge and had a relaxing smoke by myself.

Saturday, we watched a demonstration by the NYPD's aviation unit as they conducted a water rescue drill.  They also demonstrated their fast rope team as officers jumped out of a helicopter with only a rope to hold on to.  The NYPD fed us and many of their specialty unit's equipment were on display.  I particularly enjoyed meeting Nate, the NYPD horse.  We also got a tour of the New York Police Department's headquarters.  I was impressed by the facility and even more so by the officers working there.  Very professional group of people there!  After touring NYPD headquarters, a large group of us went on an 8.7 mile hike through New York referred to as the Concrete Canyon Tour.  We walked from NYPD headquarters to our hotel.  It was exhausting but incredibly fun!  Finally, Saturday night, we enjoyed an amazing dinner at Carmine's at Times Square.  The food was incredible!!  Wow!

Out on the Hudson River Courtesy of the FDNY
"Nate" the horse and Officer Alexander of the NYPD

On Sunday, we were treated to a boat ride by members of the New York Fire Department (FDNY).  We got an up close look at the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and more!  It was cold and a couple of guys got seasick but everyone made it through.  We then went to One World Trade Center and were taken to the 63rd floor of the Freedom Tower.  The building is 1776 feet tall and one of the tallest buildings in the world. It was my first time ever in a "skyscraper."  Words cannot describe how wonderful the experience was!  Later, we toured the 9-11 memorial and museum.  The facility was amazing but very somber.  I started feeling emotions such as grief and anger all over again as I listened to recordings of family members reading the names of loved ones lost.  I saw the many pictures of those who died.  I left the museum after this and waited on the rest of the group to come out.

Finally, we boarded the buses and came back to the FBI Academy.

It was an incredible weekend and a truly memorable experience.  I will cherish the memory of the trip for as long as I live.

We just started week 6 and are over halfway done!!

Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an awesome trip and it seems like your time at school has gone by fast.
    I look forward to you being home and sharing stories of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete